Legal Q&A | Can a broker get paid a commission before the closing documents have been recorded?
QUESTION: This morning a closing attorney politely declined to disburse my commission check to me during the closing at his office. He said that I would have to come back in the afternoon or tomorrow after he finished recording, because the law required him to record the closing documents before he could pay me from his trust account. Several agents in my firm have now referred me to other law firms who do not follow the same procedure. Can you explain why some attorneys disburse commission checks only after recording is complete?
Here’s a reason to Smile on Black Friday and Cyber Monday
Shop from the comfort of your home and support the NC REALTORS® Housing Foundation at the same time with AmazonSmile. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your housing opportunity foundation. It’s that easy, and you can even use your existing Amazon account. Start shopping today »
Awards, announcements and latest happenings from November Meetings
Here are a few highlights from the General Membership Meeting, held during rescheduled business meetings in Raleigh last week. Read more at ncrealtors.org and see photos on Facebook.
Mary Edna Williams awarded prestigious 2018 REALTOR® of the Year
Mary Edna Williams, broker at RE/MAX United in Raleigh, is the recipient of the NC REALTORS® 2018 REALTOR® of the Year award. Mary Edna, the 69th honoree of this prestigious award, was honored last Thursday at the General Membership Meeting.
The NC REALTORS® William C. Bass Leadership Academy announces 2018 graduates
The class of 2018 was honored during a special graduation ceremony on Thursday, November 15. Congratulations to the following individuals:
- Steven Allen, Greensboro Regional REALTORS® Association
- Marvette Artis, Greensboro Regional REALTORS® Association
- Renee Cooney, Carolina Smokies Association of REALTORS®
- Deborah Davis, High Point Regional Association of REALTORS®
- Danica Fletcher, Cape Fear REALTORS®
- Logan Geddie, Longleaf Pine REALTORS®
- Stacy Hiers, Greensboro Regional REALTORS® Association
- Christi Hill, Jacksonville Board of REALTORS®
- John Mcpherson, Winston-Salem Regional Association of REALTORS®
- Lenny Nguyen, Orange Chatham Association of REALTORS®
- Brooke Rudd-Gaglie, Brunswick County Association of REALTORS®
- Joan Swift, High Point Regional Association of REALTORS®
Lou Baldwin inducted into the NC REALTORS® Hall of Fame
Lou Baldwin of Winston-Salem was inducted into NC REALTORS® Hall of Fame on Thursday afternoon. The award was established in 1990 to honor outstanding REALTORS® who contributed outstanding services to the real estate profession through development, environment, government and leadership.
Additional service awards announced during Conference included:
- Michael Davenport of the Outer Banks Association of REALTORS®, Ben Ball Community Service Award
- Rosemarie Doshier of the Outer Banks Association of REALTORS®, (Region 1), Regional Service Award
- Deb Hays of the Cape Fear REALTORS®, (Region 2), Regional Service Award
- Todd Pierceall of the Gaston Association of REALTORS®, (Region 7), Regional Service Award
- Jennifer Frontera of the Charlotte Regional REALTOR® Association, (Region 8), Regional Service Award
- Teresa Pitt of the Raleigh Regional Association of REALTORS®, (Region 10), Regional Service Award
- Suzanne Murtha of the Charlotte Regional REALTOR® Association, The REALTOR® Innovation & Entrepreneurial Excellence Award
- George Bell of Winston-Salem, Committee Member of the Year Award
- Rebecca Hedgecock of High Point, President’s Award
- Bradley Cohen of Concord, Federal Political Coordinator Award
NC REALTORS® - Meet Your New App!
Members – we’ve gone mobile! Today we unveil our new NC REALTORS® exclusive mobile app and give you quick and easy access to epic member benefits. Track events and meetings, interact with members from across the state, engage on social media and save with Partner Program discounts. It’s all right there at your fingertips. Download the free NC REALTORS® App today in the App Store or on Google Play.
NC REALTORS® offices will be closed for Thanksgiving
In observance of the Thanksgiving holiday, NC REALTORS® offices will be closed starting Wednesday, November 21 at 1pm through Friday, November 23.